Today, Microsoft have released Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2012. I hosts a world of new features and improvements. My favourites are the ability to hide the GUI during deployments and the Validation check fix when deploying to Virtual Machines.
You can download it from the Microsoft Download Centre here.
What’s New in This Release?
- Integration with Security Compliance Manager Templates
- Run Windows PowerShell Scripts in Task Sequences
- Automated Participation in CEIP and WER
- Improved Guidance for Using SQL Server 2008 R2 with SP1
- Support for Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Windows Server 8 Beta
- Support for the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (Windows ADK).
- Monitoring of LTI deployment process.
- Deployment of Windows Recovery Environment (Windows RE).
- Deployment of Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolkit (DaRT).
- Deployment to computers that use the Unified Extensible Firmware Interface (UEFI).
- Deployment to computers that require GUID Partition Table (GPT) format.
- Deployment to virtual hard disks (VHDs) for native boot
- Support for Windows Thin PC.
- Support for Windows Embedded POSReady 7
- Add local administrator accounts wizard step.
- Deployment Wizard user experience improvements.
- Support for System Center 2012 Configuration Manager.
What’s Been Removed from This Release?
- Support for prerelease versions of Configuration Manager 2012
- Support for installation of MDT on Windows Server 2003
- Support for installation of MDT on Windows Vista
- Support for installation of MDT on Windows XP
- Support for Windows Deployment Services running on Windows Server 2003
- Original equipment manufacturer task sequence templates from ZTI (Instead, use the prestaged media capabilities in Configuration Manager 2012 and Configuration Manager 2007 R3.)