I’ve been working on a Windows 10 1511 defect where the devices are unable to open some PDF files from a fully qualified domain name (FQDN) mapped drive such as a DFS using Microsoft Edge browser.
Users receive this message in Edge when they try to launch a PDF from a FQDN mapped drive:
Hmm, we can’t reach this page.
Make sure that you’ve got the right web address. . .
I’m showing how to create the issue with a workaround I found. I’m going to link this post to this issue on Edges Developer site. Please click there and vote if you have seen the same issue.
There are a number of workarounds for this such as:
- Copy the PDF file locally and launch it.
- Map a drive using single label resolution (example: \\server\share).
- Connect to the share directly using UNC with single label resolution (example: \\server\share).
How to replicate the issue in a lab
In order to emulate the issue I had in the enterprise, I modified to local hosts file (C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) in my home network to make my home NAS act similar to a DFS namespace using a FQDN source.
I added a new line to the hosts file which had the local IP address of my NAS and a made up FQDN for testing. In this case it was nas.scriptimus.local.
I then mapped a drive to the NAS share where I already had a number of PDF ebooks.
When I tried to access any of these files I received a prompt similar to this.
So what’s the issue?
Well this shouldn’t happen. For one thing, Edge will open the same files using other methods. For example:
- If I copy the files locally the files open in Edge.
- If I map a drive using just the hostname the files open in Edge.
- If I UNC to the share the files open in Edge.
This is the same issue countless people are experiencing in the enterprise. The issue was closed on Microsoft Connect as they were unable to reproduce the issue.
To ‘fix’ this issue
After this you can open your PDF files in Edge without issue.
I use the term ‘fix’ loosely because you really should not need to do this but as a work around it works for me. If anyone has a better fix then please feel free to comment below.