One thing that I always wanted was to get a BGInfo background in WindowsPE during my Lite-Touch deployments. I did it a while back during a phase of testing when I just wanted to start-up a PC and see if it had obtained an IP address etc. Plus, I wanted to see the MAC Address and UUID without having to run scripts or WMIC every time. Anyway, it looks like this:
UPDATE: There is an x64 version of BGInfo now in MDT 2012 this tip can be replicated for both architectures. To do this for x86, you’ll need to create the following:
- An ‘Extra Files’ folder in your DeploymentShare
- A *.BGI customised background for use in Windows PE.
- a custom Unattend.XML to call the commands
- Create a folder called ‘ExtraFiles’ in your deployment share.
- Next, create a folder called Windows with a subfolder called System32 beneath it.
- In the Deployment Workbench, Right-Click on the Deployment Share and select properties. Then click on the Windows PE x86 Settings Tab
- In the Windows PE Customizations section browse to the ExtraFiles folder
- Boot into your LiteTouchPE_x86 environment
- Press F8 to open a command prompt
- Type Z:\Tools\x86\BGInfo.exe (or copy it to the x:drive to run it faster)
- Customise your desktop background and save it to Z:\ExtraFiles\Windows\System32
- Open Windows System Image Manager and select a DeploymentShare
- Then select a Windows Image
- Then create a New AnswerFile
- Add the following settings to the Answer File in the WindowsPE configuration Pass
Microsoft-Windows-Setup | Display
Microsoft-Windows-Setup | RunSynchronous | RunSynchronousCommand
Path=Bginfo.exe Win_PE.bgi /silent /timer:0 /NOLICPROMPT
Description=Lite Touch PE
5. Save the file as z:\ExtraFiles\Unattend.XML
Finally, copy BGInfo.exe to z:\ExtraFiles\Windows\System32\ and update the deployment share to recreate the LiteTouchPE_x86.wim